Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Mexico City and the Mysterious Lego Hands

Elder Hale would love to receive mail!  (FYI, his birthday is coming up quickly - February 24th!!)  If you feel so inclined, you have at least three options to send him a note:


  • Snail Mail - 


Elder Nathan Hale
Carretera Tenayuca-Chalmita #828
Colonia Zona Escolar, Gustavo A. Madero
07230 Mexico, Distrito Federal
Mexico

Elder Hale on the campus of the Mexico City MTC.  FYI, Kyra gave him that tie for Christmas. 
Hi Everyone!

So last week was pretty rough to say the least, but don't worry, it keeps getting better. By the way, things have calmed down a lot, so if you want to send me letters in the mail that would be fine and awesome. I can read them on P Day while I'm doing my laundry.  That way I'll have more time to email all of you. 

Anyway, last Thursday I got reeeeaallly sick. The doctor stated I had a stomach virus, and a few other people got it around the same time I did.  I threw up like 10 times, but it's cool. I'm fine now. I only missed half a day of class (which was actually kind of a miracle because doc thought I would need 3-5 days to recover).

Also, one of the members of our zone (a group of about 12 missionaries) had his appendix burst around the same time I got sick. We had to take turns within our zone being his companion in the hospital.  It was surprisingly developed- actually one of the nicer hospitals I've been in.  Driving through Mexico City I was expecting something a lot more run down. I attached some photos for you. By the way, if you can, take a look at the one with the giant Lego hand-looking statues. No one can figure out what they're for.
Statues of Lego hands?  Haha!
Language study has been going awesome. I've been talking a lot with Latinos and some of the teachers in Spanish and my speaking ability has really developed. My companion and I taught a 20-minute lesson on the Restoration without writing anything down or looking at the pamphlet. I purchased a load of flashcards from the Tienda (store) and I've been going crazy with them in my free time. 

Our district has gotten a lot closer, which can be both a blessing and a curse. It gets more and more difficult to keep everyone on task (including myself, sometimes). My companion is starting to get annoying because he makes the dumbest jokes all the time now. We still get along fine, though. The other set of elders has this one kid with perfect pitch who is really picky about the starting note when we sing, and his companion can't carry a tune.  It's really kind of funny!  Hahaha.
Elder Hale and Elder Schneider
On Sunday, one of the hermanas in our district got sick with an even worse version of what I got.  She asked for a priesthood blessing, so my companion anointed her with oil, I sealed the anointing, and then gave the blessing. It was cool.  I'd share more about it, but the experience was just too special to talk about.

Anyway, please let me know if you have anymore questions about MTC life.  It gets pretty repetitive, even after just two weeks
Elder Hale with a bronze bust.  Anyone know who this might be?
On Sunday, we talked a lot about the priesthood and about how power is withheld from those aspiring to the repute of men. (There's more in D&C 121 if you want to check it out!) I've come to the realization, while I've been here, that a lot of missionaries enter the field without the right order of priority in whom they are serving. Number one should always be God. Number two should be yourself, believe it or not. The most important convert we take away from our mission on the earth is ourself.

I love and miss you,
Elder Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment